This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Books and Methods Review - Therapeutic Parenting - Christine Moers

I will always credit Christine Moers with being the therapeutic "guru" who got me through the toughest times with our kids. Unfortunately, she no longer coaches and her YouTube videos and blogs are now private, but it's still possible to rent her video Chaos To Healing: Therapeutic Parenting 101. It's really good and I highly recommend it. 


This is probably going to sound like a commercial or like I'm a total fangirl (which I am), but I have to tell you about my favorite Therapeutic parenting "guru," Christine Moers, a foster and adoptive parent of children from "the hard places."

I like that she's so approachable and doesn't pretend to have it all together. She's nothing like me -- she's got dreads and tattoos, was a pastor's wife, and owns a trailer park -- but at the same time, we're kindred spirits. She's walked the path I'm on. I've met her several times over the years, and she is exactly the same in real life as she seems in her videos and on her blog.


DVD
Now, I know you want more. You're in luck! She worked with Billy Kaplan ( President and Clinical Director at House Calls Counseling) to create a video called Chaos to Healing:  Therapeutic Parenting 101  Author, Daniel Hughes, writes VERY good books about attachment, but (in my opinion) they are very academic and pretty dry. Christine Moers and Billy Kaplan have created an entertaining, practical description of Daniel Hughes' concept PACE (Playfulness, Acceptance, Curiosity, Empathy). They also explain what Safety means to our kids and why it's so important.

YOUTUBE VIDEOS
She has an amazing series of YouTube videos on Therapeutic Parenting. If you haven't checked them out, go do it! I'll wait.

See! I told you she's awesome! This is the only video I could find; I'm guessing it's because it was done with someone else. But it is one of my favorites - the Pee Song about dysregulated kids. Sometimes you just have to laugh! Lol




Unfortunately, Christine Moers is on an indefinite break from coaching and speaking while she heads back to school. 

BLOG
Christine Moers had been blogging for years at http://www.welcometomybrain.net/ before she moved most of the content over to ChristineParentCoaching.com. She has a very real and open style of writing that doesn't feel preachy.

PARENT COACH
For some of us, this gig is hard. Whether a friend sent you to this site or you stumbled across the page in the middle of the night as tears are streaming down your face ... you just found someone who understands. Look around to see if Christine might be just the cheerleader you are looking for.
http://christineparentcoaching.com
She gets it. She really does, and she helps you become better at "getting it" too. After talking to her you feel inspired and empowered to believe that, you've got this and the added tools in your toolbelt to do it.


2 comments:

Hedged in Beauty said...

Howdy Mary!

February (oops March!) is the anniversary of the first time I face-to-face met this wonderful woman Christine whose videos confirmed so very much of our adoption experience after RAD adult adoptees attacked.

Not sure if five or six years have passed since that first meeting, but it certainly has been too long since the last time I've seen her!

I seldom check in, but am always so grateful to read your posts Mary.

We've been empty nesting almost seven years now.

Adoption issues while never gone completely, are certainly far less front-and-center in this season of life.

I'm always grateful to find encouragement and support from bloggers like you who "get it"

marythemom said...

Thanks for the comment Hedged in Beauty (gorgeous name by the way!). I feel like I'm semi-empty nesting now. Adoption issues are still front and center for me, but I think that's more because of the work I do with trauma mamas than with my own kids.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to post about Christine. I really do have a "crush" on her. It's good to have confirmation that I'm not the only one who thinks she's awesome.