This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Friday, May 6, 2016

Help! It's Summer!

Summer plans. What do you do with YOUR kids during the summer?

Some of the things we've done when our kids got too old for daycare and summer camps:


  • Week long theme camps at the local MUD.
  • Counselor in Training program at the local MUD or summer camp.
  • Volunteer work with programs that provide a lot of structure (animal shelter, local equine therapy places are always looking for sidewalkers, horse handlers and stall muckers - my kids love horses and outdoors) we found one program that often works with people needing to do court-ordered community service so there was a lot of supervision.
  • Summer Job (for those that could handle it).
    Freelance - Through my work, I was sometimes able to hire the kids to do things like data entry or research. They got paid as contractors by the company I was working for, or I "subcontracted" some of my tasks to them.
  • Intensive Outpatient (aka Partial Day Hospitalization)
  • Hire a Nanny - a friend of the family with kids with special needs who "gets it," Grandma, Someone you hire from Care.com or the like - Here's some interview questions for caregivers/ respite providers
  • Vacation Bible Schools - (with a heads up to the administration) my kids are actually really good with younger kids.
  • Summer school  
  • Structured days. For example:
    9am -9:30am aerobics,
    9:30- 10:30am chores,
    10:30am - 11:30am Free time
    11:30-12 Help make lunch
    1pm -3pm Quiet activities (nap, study, reading, quiet play)
    3pm - 5pm Get ready and go to pool or park or craft store...
    5pm-8pm TV/Movie/ Electronics/ Quiet Time/ Dinner
    8-8:30pm Bedtime Routine (showers, stories)
    8:30/ 9pm (depending on age) Room Time (Quiet activities or sleep)
  • (Mostly) Free Activities. 108 Alternatives to being bored and Trapped in the House 
  • Attachment Challenge 
  • Integrity Study or similar
  • Hang out at work with parent (obviously only works if an option) - my kids had Homeschooling Workbooks (summer assignments, PACE workbooks, or just a grade level appropriate workbook that we found at the local teacher supply store) that they could do while I worked. We also had a lounge they could watch TV in if they got their work done. We'd go for walks on my lunch hour.
Post about Summertime Fun

Leave a comment with what you do with your kids!

No comments: