This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Friday, August 31, 2012

Books and Methods Review - Methods - Tapping (EFT)


EFT – Emotional Freedom Techniques  aka Tapping

"The cause of all negative emotions is a disruption in the body's energy system." E.F.T., otherwise known as Tapping or Meridian Tapping, is a combination of Ancient Chinese Acupressure and Modern Psychology. It was developed originally by Roger Callahan in the 1980's and modified and expanded upon by Gary Craig. Since then, thousands of psychologists, psychiatrists, doctors, coaches and individual users have adopted this powerful technique for use on themselves, their clients, family members and more
This simple technique, which literally involves "tapping" on the meridian points of our body while saying certain statements, is providing uniquely powerful results.
It works well for children of trauma (and their parents too!)
http://lisajordanpuddin.blogspot.com/ - regularly puts up videos showing her daughter using this technique very successfully.

Marythemom:  This works really well with traumatized kids (and their parents!), if you can get them to do it.

3 comments:

Last Mom said...

This works great for my girl IF she isn't too buried in her shame to do it. She knows it helps, but has been refusing to do it most of the time lately.

Christine Eubanks said...

I'm really interested with EFT too. Do you also have EFT videos? Thanks!

marythemom said...

Christine - I don't have any EFT videos personally. I tried tapping myself, but I'll admit I probably didn't try it long enough, so I didn't get much out of it. Kitty pretty much refuses to do it most of the time.