This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Books and Methods Review - Intro

The reason I blog is to help my fellow Trauma Mamas (and Papas) with this journey we're on.  Over the years, this blog has changed from sharing our personal adoption journey, to reviewing books and methods specific to the issues we come across in dealing with children of trauma, to information and resources about specific issues for parents of children with issues with attachment, trauma, mental illness...  I've tried to organize the topics in the right sidebar. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, comments, or additions!

This post is a link to my Top 10, Five Star, favorites... so far.

********************************************


Every child is different.  Their personalities, their histories, and where they are in their journey.  Parents and families are different too, and needs must change and adapt over time.  For this reason, no one technique or method will work for every child and family all the time. 

It is our job to try to find what works best for us and our family.  We will make mistakes and we will learn.   Most families end up taking bits and pieces of many different concepts and putting them together to form what works for them.  Please take what you need from what you find here, and respect that others' journeys may be different from your own. 

This is mostly in alphabetical order, not necessarily who is the best!  I have not personally read or reviewed all of these books or tried all of these techniques and resources.  I have tried to include others' reviews where possible.  I do want to say that the comments I make are my own opinions based on my understanding and experiences.  I am not an expert, just a concerned therapeutic parent exploring what works best for my children.

Most of all, I want you to know that 
You are not alone!  

As always, please let me know how I can best help you in your journey.

Marythemom

Moderator - Parents of Attachment-Challenged Children: https://www.facebook.com/groups/147916451954056/ 
Texas Therapeutic Parenting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TXTherapeuticParenting/




No comments: