This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Monday, September 1, 2008

My Baby, Ponito

This is my baby. The reason I get up in the morning. He gives the best hugs and kisses, and is usually in a good mood. I can't believe he is 9.5 and in 4th grade! I feel so ancient!



I'm sure one reason he's so sweet is that, unlike all my other kiddoes, he has not started puberty yet. Still, he is much more affectionate than even most little boys his age. He climbs up me for hugs and clings like the little monkey that he is. I love that I can still carry him around (his sister, Bob, was so big at this age! She was well over 100lbs.). Ponito started walking at 7 1/2 months and has always been coordinated. I started him in gymnastics at age 2, when I started working in a Mother's Day Out program. He ended up doing gymnastics for 3-4 hours a day, 4 days a week, for a year. He is the most coordinated kid you can imagine (unlike poor Bob who grows 4 inches a year and is always in a new body!). He's one of those kids you see doing dangerous things in the shopping cart like standing or hanging over the edge, but if you tell me he's going to fall out, I'll just reply, "I wish!" This is because he NEVER does and I can't convince him to quit.



He's always in a good mood unless he's hungry, tired or sick. I think having all of these older sibling is especially hard on him though. He's always being told what to do and being the only social kid of the 4, he is constantly wanting to have friends over or go visit friends. Bob is very introverted so isn't really social. Kitty and Bear are very social, but can't handle the pressure of being in a crowd and really have very few social skills. Kitty especially, is very jealous of Ponito getting to go to friends' or his cousin's house.



My nephew and Ponito are only 6 months apart in age. Sometimes we think of them as a two headed boy! Especially when Ponito is looking over his cousin's shoulder to watch him playing Nintendo DS. I think Nintendos are evil and keep kids from being active and as the World's Meanest Mom I do not allow my kids to have one. They are not even allowed in my home, which means my addicted nephew doesn't come to our house much anymore. I also do not allow them to watch certain channels and think Spongebob is evil, so my little niece doesn't like to come over either.





Ponito has always been so tolerant! He used to let me dress him in silly costumes every Halloween. It's only been in the last few years that he refuses to wear them - after of course he lets me spend days making them. The first picture is of T as Prince Charming (sister of course was a princess). The second was Rainbow Horsey (he matched a stuffed animal he owned) - this was an adaptation of Unicorn Centaur Princess - his sister's costume the year before. They both wore these costumes for all of 5 minutes after being forced into them by a frustrated Mommy. The third is of a dolphin, for his sister's ocean themed birthday. Again, he wore the costume for 5 minutes. Mommy no longer makes elaborate costumes!!



No blog about Ponito would be complete without blackmail pictures!


As Pioneer Woman would insist, "He's not my favorite!"





















No comments: