This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

To Write or Not to Write?

After finding out I didn't get the job I recently interviewed for, I looked around and realized there are not many jobs out there in which I'm interested in applying. One of the people from NAMI who interviewed me, gave me several contacts so I'm not at a total dead end - even though most of them will lead to more volunteer work.

A friend suggested I use this time to write a book, and I'm seriously thinking about it. According to my stats reader, a lot of people read this blog so I'm going to ask y'all's opinion on what I should write about.

  1. The FAIR Club - focused on our favorite discipline method. Generic enough for most families, but with info on how to tailor it to each family and child's specific needs.
  2. Write a book about dealing with older RAD kids and kids of truama in collaboration with one of our therapists who is incredibly experienced, but not necessarily interested in writing her own book.
  3. Narrative about our adoption/ RAD/ trauma/ mentally illnesses/ teenage/ neurotypical biokids/ school... journey (kind of turning this blog into a story).
  4. None of the above. This is a bad idea and I should focus on getting a "real job" with benefits.

What do y'all think?

4 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

I vote for option #4.

Johanna said...

I like the idea of a book on the FAIR club because it's practical and probably sale-able (that's not a word!) but all of the ideas would make great reading.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea how much time, love, effort, etc. goes into a book? Be sure to talk with people who've really done it.
If you do go for it, I'd ask "When I go to the parenting section at the book store, what book do I think is missing?" [For me, the answer is "A book for moms who are mere mortals." I hate seeing all those "How I cured my child and you can too!" books!!]

Anonymous said...

I think it's too soon for a book. You're still in the trenches; wait 'till you're further along the path.

Meanwhile, your family really needs you physically and economically. Do something that either allows you to spend enough time with them or help pay for some of your troubles. JMHO.