RENTAL AGREEMENT FOR A ROOM IN A PRIVATE HOME
The monthly rent is $__550__, payable on or before the __10th__ day of every month beginning upon graduation from high school. Prior to graduation, all other terms in this agreement are applicable.
A security deposit of $__900__, including Last Month’s Rent, paid on __________________ (date).
The premises shall be considered vacated only after all areas including storage areas are clear of all RESIDENT'S belongings, and keys and other property furnished for RESIDENT'S use are returned to OWNER. Should the RESIDENT hold over beyond the termination date or fail to vacate all possessions on or before the termination date, RESIDENT shall be liable for additional rent and damages which may include damages due to OWNER'S loss of prospective new renters.
- SECURITY DEPOSIT: After graduation from high school, an additional $100 will be added to each months’ rent until the security deposit (which includes the last month’s rent) is paid in full (9 months). This shall secure compliance with the terms and conditions of this agreement and shall be refunded to RESIDENT within 21 days after the premises have been completely vacated less any amount necessary to pay OWNERS; a) any unpaid rent, b) cleaning costs, c) key replacement costs, d) cost for repair of damages to premises and/or common areas above ordinary wear and tear, and e) any other amount legally allowable under the terms of this agreement. A written accounting of said charges shall be presented to RESIDENT within _21_ days of move-out. If deposits do not cover such costs and damages, the RESIDENT shall immediately pay said additional costs for damages to OWNERS.
- LATE CHARGE: A late fee of $_50_, (not to exceed _10_% of the monthly rent), shall be added and due for any payment of rent made after the __10th__ day of the month. Any dishonored check shall be treated as unpaid rent, and subject to an additional fee of $_25__.
- PREMISES MAINTENANCE: RESIDENT shall maintain room and common areas in a safe, organized, clean and sanitary condition. (See Premise Maintenance Agreement) All residents have equal rights to use common areas (family room, front room, game room, dining room, kitchen, hallways, bathrooms, laundry areas, and agree to respect the rights of other residents in such areas.
- RESPECT: RESIDENT will respect other’s feelings and rights and as such will be respectful and pleasant to be around to other residents of the premises and their guests.
- PRIVACY: Other than in emergency situations (which include protection of RESIDENT’S health and safety, suspected unlawful activity or violation of the Morality Clause, and/or prevention of property damage) OWNERS will only enter room upon verbal consent of RESIDENT.
- RIGHT OF ENTRY AND INSPECTION: OWNERS reserves the right to enter, for the purpose of purpose of inspection, establishment of order, repairs, maintenance, inventory correction, and/or in case of emergency or suspected abandonment. OWNERS shall give 24 hours advance notice and may enter for the purpose of showing the premises to prospective renters, caseworkers/ social workers, for smoke alarm inspections, extermination, cleaning, and/or for normal inspections and repairs. OWNERS are permitted to make all alterations, repairs and maintenance that in OWNER'S judgment are necessary to perform. RESIDENT may not deny access to OWNERS or authorized contractors attempting to exercise the OWNER’s rights or perform the OWNERS’ obligations.
- LOSS/ THEFT/ DAMAGE: OWNERS shall not be liable for any damages to or loss of personal property in the common areas, outdoor areas, room, or garage/ storage facilities. RESIDENT is strongly advised to secure belongings and consider arranging for insurance coverage of personal property. Use of furniture, equipment, fixtures, food/ consumables, personal items not belonging to the RESIDENT, and services not specifically deemed for common use will be considered theft and is forbidden. Removal of common area or common use furniture, equipment, fixtures, or other property is forbidden. Violators will be fined $50 per day for each item in their possession and/or for replacement of item. RESIDENT is liable for all damage that is caused to the room(s) or any furniture/furnishing/ fixture therein. RESIDENT is liable for the cost of repairing damage to the room(s) and building.
- INSURANCE: RESIDENT acknowledges that OWNERS’ insurance does not cover personal property damage caused by fire, theft, rain, war, acts of God, acts of others, and/or any other causes, nor shall OWNER be held liable for such losses. RESIDENT is hereby advised to obtain his/her own insurance policy to cover any personal losses.
- GUESTS: RESIDENT’S privilege to have guests is subject to the following limitations: a) Guest(s) staying overnight without the written consent of OWNERS (requested at minimum 24 hours in advance) shall be considered a breach of this agreement. b) Guest visiting hours are between 10am and 8pm – it is strongly encouraged that RESIDENT request permission from OWNERS prior to the guest(s)’ arrival and that OWNERS be on the premises when guests are visiting.c) RESIDENT may not pressure or force other household members to tolerate the presence of a guest; d) The presence of guests must not restrict the free access of legitimate household members to all common spaces and to any private space they may have or create any situation that infringes on the right of roommates to remain undisturbed; e) The presence of a guest may not exceed 24 consecutive hours without prior written request a minimum of 24 hours in advance.f) Guests of opposite gender to RESIDENT or who have expressed a preference for same-sex relationships must remain only in common areas, never in private spaces.
- PETS: No animal, fowl, fish, reptile, and/or pet of any kind shall be kept on or about the premises, for any amount of time, without obtaining the prior written consent and meeting the requirements of the OWNERS. Such consent if granted, shall be revocable at OWNERS’ option upon giving a 10 day written notice or immediately if there is any abuse or neglect of the animal or the animal is, or becomes, aggressive, disruptive or destructive, or any members of the household have, or develop, an issue with the animal. In the event permission is granted to have a pet and/or animal of any kind, an additional deposit in the amount of $_________ shall be required along with additional monthly rent of $_______ along with the signing of OWNER'S Pet Agreement.
- PARKING: When and if RESIDENT is assigned a parking area/space on OWNERS’ property, the parking area/space shall be used exclusively for parking of passenger automobiles and/or those approved vehicles RESIDENT is hereby assigned or permitted to park only in the following area or space __driveway spot farthest from the front door_. The parking fee for this space (is $________ monthly). Said space shall not be used for the washing, painting, or repair of vehicles. No other parking space shall be used by RESIDENT or RESIDENT'S guest(s). RESIDENT is responsible for oil leaks and other vehicle discharges for which RESIDENT shall be charged for cleaning if deemed necessary by OWNER.
- HOA: RESIDENT agrees to comply with all rules and regulations set forth by the Home Owner’s Association.
- COMMON AREAS/ CURFEW/ NOISE: Without prior agreement, common areas are only to be used between the hours of 7am to 9pm. RESIDENT agrees not to cause or allow any noise or activity on the premises which might disturb the peace and quiet of another RESIDENT and/or neighbor. Said noise and/or activity shall be a breach of this agreement.
- DESTRUCTION OF PREMISES: If the premises become totally or partially destroyed during the term of this Agreement so that RESIDENT'S use is seriously impaired, OWNERS or RESIDENT may terminate this Agreement immediately.
- CONDITION OF PREMISES: RESIDENT acknowledges that he has examined the premises and that said premises, all furnishings, fixtures, furniture, plumbing, heating, electrical facilities, all items listed on the attached Property Condition checklist, if any, and/or all other items provided by OWNERS are all clean, and in good satisfactory condition except as may be indicated elsewhere in this Agreement. RESIDENT agrees to keep the premises and all items in good order and good condition and to immediately pay for costs to repair and/or replace any portion of the above damaged by RESIDENT, his guests and/or invitees, except as provided by law. At the termination of this Agreement, all of above items in this provision shall be returned to OWNERS in clean and good condition except for reasonable wear and tear and the premises shall be free of all personal property and trash not belonging to OWNERS. It is agreed that all dirt, holes, tears, burns, and stains of any size or amount in the carpets/flooring, drapes, walls, fixtures, and/or any other part of the premises, do not constitute reasonable wear and tear.
- HOUSE RULES: RESIDENT shall comply with all house rules as stated on separate addendum, but which are deemed part of this rental agreement, and a violation of any of the house rules is considered a breach of this agreement.
- FIGHTING: Threats or acts of bodily harm are prohibited.
- ASSIGNMENT: RESIDENT agrees not to transfer, assign or sublet the premises or any part thereof.
- ALCOHOL/ DRUGS: In Texas, the possession and/or use of alcohol by persons under 21 years of age is prohibited. Distribution of alcohol by sale or gift to persons under 21 years of age is forbidden. RESIDENT is held accountable for what occurs in the room(s) and is therefore expected to comply with state law in the use of distribution of alcohol. Alcohol may not be consumed in the public areas. Kegs, regardless of contents or amount, are prohibited on premises. Failure to comply means RESIDENT is subject to immediate termination of the Boarder Agreement, removal from the premises, as well a disciplinary or judicial action and criminal prosecution.
- THERAPEUTIC TREATMENT AND PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION: RESIDENT agrees to attend recommended therapeutic treatment and take prescribed medication (as prescribed). Failure to comply means RESIDENT is subject to immediate termination of the Boarder Agreement.
- MORALITY/ PORNOGRAPHY: Inappropriate activities and materials such as pornography and media (games, movies, music, magazines…) designed for older teens or adults must be kept out of common areas and other residents of the premises must not be exposed to these materials. Failure to comply means RESIDENT is subject to immediate termination of the Boarder Agreement, removal from the premises, as well a disciplinary or judicial action and criminal prosecution.
- FIREARMS/ DANGEROUS WEAPONS - Possession, storage or use of firearms or dangerous weapons are prohibited and subject to immediate termination of the Boarder Agreement, removal from the premises, as well as disciplinary or judicial action and criminal prosecution.
- PARTIAL INVALIDITY: Nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed as waiving any of the OWNERS’ or RESIDENT'S rights under the law. If any part of this Agreement shall be in conflict with the law, that part shall be void to the extent that it is in conflict, but shall not invalidate this Agreement nor shall it affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of this Agreement.
- NO WAIVER: OWNERS’ acceptance of rent with knowledge of any default by RESIDENT or waiver by OWNERS of any breach of any term of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of subsequent breaches. Failure to require compliance or to exercise any right shall not be constituted as a waiver by OWNERS of said term, condition, and/or right, and shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any provision of this Agreement.
- MEDIATION/ ATTORNEY FEES: If any legal action or proceedings be brought by either party of this Agreement, the prevailing party shall be reimbursed for all reasonable attorney's/mediator’s fees and costs in addition to other damages awarded.
- REPORT TO CREDIT/TENANT AGENCIES: You are hereby notified that a nonpayment, late payment or breach of any of the terms of this rental agreement may be submitted/reported to a credit and/or tenant reporting agency, and may create a negative credit record on your credit report.
- NOTICES: All notices to RESIDENT shall be served at RESIDENT'S premises and all notices to OWNERS shall be served at __123 Bogus Lane_.
- CHANGES TO THIS AGREEMENT: With 30 days written notice to Tenant, OWNERS may raise the rent, alter the terms of the agreement, or terminate the tenancy; 60 days written notice will be given to terminate the tenancy if RESIDENT has resided on the premises for at least one (1) year. Conversely, the RESIDENT MUST give OWNERS 30 days written notice of intent to quit the premises.
• Electricity/ Gas
• Sewer/ Water
• Telephone (local)
• Trash Removal/ Recycling
• Food /Consumables – See Meal Plan
• Transportation to therapy and medical appointments
• Chauffer/ Chaperone services – including to work and to go out with friends
• Eating out/ Snack food/ Take out/ Special meals
• Vacations/ Parties/ Special Events
• WiFi/ Network/ Cable
• TV/ Electronics/ Appliances
OWNERS and RESIDENT agree to honor the following House Rules and any additional written Rules attached:
By initialing as provided, RESIDENT acknowledges the receipt of the following documents (copies of which are attached hereto) and are incorporated herein by reference:
______ House Rules ______ Inventory & Condition Report
______ Furniture Inventory & Condition Report ______ Repair / Replacement Agreement
______ Maintenance Request Form ______ Inventory of Personal Property
______ Premise Maintenance Agreement ______ Other: ______________________
______ I understand that I am entering into a legally binding agreement with landlord(s). I also understand that I, as an individual, am responsible to the landlords, the utility companies, and other tenants of the home.
The undersigned have read the foregoing Lease prior to execution & acknowledge receipt of a copy.
Dated this ____ day of ________________, of the year __________
___________________________________________________ ___________________ Date
___________________________________________________ ___________________ Date
KEYS AND ADDENDUMS: RESIDENT acknowledges receipt of the following which shall be deemed part of this Agreement: (Please check)
___ Keys #of keys and purposes ___________________________________________
___ House Rules ___ Pet Agreement ___ Other ________________________________
ENTIRE AGREEMENT: This Agreement constitutes the entire Agreement between OWNERS and RESIDENT.
No oral agreements have been entered into, and all modifications or notices shall be in writing to be valid.
RECEIPT OF AGREEMENT: The undersigned RESIDENT has read and understood this Agreement and hereby acknowledge receipt of a copy of this Rental Agreement.
RESIDENT'S Signature ___________________________________________________
OWNERS’ Signature ____________________________________________