This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Punctuation Saves Lives




"This writing business. Pencils and whatnot. Overrated, if you ask me."




One of my best friends is a scopist (They're like proof readers for court transcribers - I know, I'd never heard of it either!), and she signs all her e-mails with this:





Let’s eat Grandma.
Let’s eat, Grandma.
PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES.



Makes me smile every time!






________________________________________






Bear has an A in 11th grade English. Can't you tell?!





Hy mom please remember my project if posibal get all of it on the paty o at gram it in front of popys wood theres a peace of thick drie wall and wood planks and a pecae of pliy wood and the small house that is are ready built LOVE BEAR _______ Thanks
--
•Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any
direction

BEAR



This is Bear's way to ask me to bring to school the science project that he forgot at the grandparent's house over the weekend. He's building a model of an eco-friendly house. The good news is that he was actually very polite and once I figured out what he was talking about then I was able to read it pretty easily.




"Hi Mom,




Please remember to bring me my project. If possible please get all the pieces that are on the patio at Grandma's house. They are in front of Poppy's woodpile. There's a piece of thick drywall, and wood planks and a piece of plywood, and the small house that is already built.



Love,



Bear ________


Thanks"



____________________________________________



I love this one. It makes me think of pirates! Aarrr! (He's asking me to look up his grades online.)





Mom What r me graeds
--
•Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction

BEAR


___________________________________________



This one really helps me remember how far we've come. It really stinks that he only expresses his feelings in e-mails, but it's better than nothing.







Hy mom how is {kitty} this is kinda getting to day im feeling alittle stresed out and for some reason Im feeling like it my falt in away because I did this so many times to her and the other grils when they were yonger, The makes me think about some of the stuff im trying to forget about and try to move on with my life. Im feeling like i want to cry but i don't any one to weary about me.


LOVE YOU MOM I realy apreshat the way you have never gave up on us i think this some thing we needed That we realy never had. THANKS love you mom Thank for putting up with all the good and bad stuff i ever through at you

--
•Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction

BEAR

__________________________________________________________

Lately, Bear has been having problems with Biomom talking to his girlfriend via Facebook. Several months ago, I took away Bear's access to FB (changed his password and the password on all his online e-mail accounts so he's limited to the one we can monitor), but the account is still up, and he is friends with ALL of his biofamily (and 250+ of his closest friends). I'm not totally sure how Biomom figured out which one was Bear's current girlfriend, but oh well.


Hy mom {GIRLFRiend} said {Biomom} is talking to her on face book can you ask her to stop Plase Because she asking ? about me and i dont want {biomom} saying some thing rong to her. The worst I dont want her doing some thing to come bettwen us in any way because that would make me mad and i don't
--
•Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction

BEAR

He didn't finish the e-mail. Just sent it to me this way. I'm still debating how to handle it. Although I did send Biomom a message via chat using Bear's facebook account telling her that Bear has requested that she not speak to his friends. No response.

__________________________________

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't girlfriend block messages from biomom?

The letter saying "thanks, I love you" is VERY sweet. So glad he can communicate it, even with bad spelling.

As for his English graed ... it is the sort of thing I gave up on. I'd just say in the ARD things like "I just want to be clear that Ms A doesn't know this stuff even though you are giving her a B." I knew I couldn't change it, but I could make everyone at the table feel uncomfortable about it.

Tara - SanitySrchr said...

I like the punctuation statement!!! It makes perfect sense.

Hang in there! :)