This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Getting Organized and Motivated

Found this great resource for getting ready for the school year and getting organized.  We do some of this already, but the advocacy and letter writing advice was invaluable! Definitely check out the resources at the bottom and Letter to a Stranger if you haven't seen it before!  http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/organize.file.htm#master

I recently joined Fly Lady (http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/31-beginner-babysteps/) hoping to get more organized and motivated to get the house cleaner.  Fly Lady sends motivational e-mails with manageable steps to help people get their house clean and organized.  I like her advice because it's free, practical, easy to handle and highly motivating.  (every post ends with

"You are not behind! I don't want you to try to catch up; I just want you to jump in where we are. O.K.?
Perfectionism is Shelved in 2012!"


I also joined My Fitness Pal http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ which is a free weight monitoring program.  I like it because it has a calorie counter that has a huge database of all sorts of food already entered -I can find my grocery store's generic brand, food from chain restaurants, and even create my own recipes. It not only calculates calories, carbs, fat and protein for everything, it takes into consideration how much you're exercised, and calculates and tracks what you need to achieve the weight goals I established.  It also allows me to connect with other friends in the group (including my sister).

Recently I was showing Hubby how it worked and I entered the 6 1/2 hours of scuba diving he'd done that day.  He burned something like 5000 calories!  My Fitness Pals were really impressed with me and sent me encouraging messages!  I had to explain that I'd removed it later and it wasn't me.  :<)


Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

No comments: