This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Monday, August 17, 2009

Why I'm not posting much

Kitty went to the psychiatrist this morning. She’ll most likely be in residential before the end of this week. She's hanging in there, but today I left her in the van with Grandma, Bear and Ponito (air conditioner running!) while Bob and I ran an errand that was supposed to be quick, but wasn't. Within 10 minutes she was inside talking about how much she hates Grandma and Ponito, hugging on me, and unwilling to leave my side.

Bear is discovering that football in a big town is hard work. He’s no longer the big fish in a small pond, and he tries to quit every day. (He's used to being 5'9" in a small town in Nebraska playing Middle School football and no one cared that he wasn't very coordinated. Now he's one of 300 high school football players). Yesterday he came home vomiting from heat exhaustion because he hadn’t been drinking enough water.

We’ve spent the last week or so moving what we are allowed to from the office building (the property was foreclosed on). Tons of rat poo, dust, and years of crap to clean up. The original owner was a pack rat and we don’t know what we have to keep because it is related to a client, and what was shoved in a box and stored because the man couldn’t throw anything away. The kids, Hubby and I are doing all the moving ourselves with our Blazer (no air conditioning) and my Mom’s minivan. We’re alive, but we’re tired and cranky.

Today I finally got a chance to take the girls to a local thrift store for school clothes. Last weekend one of the store managers mentioned he'd be working alone most of this week and would be willing to "help me out." Store managers at this store have taken pity on me before (they see me running around with my brood of growing teenagers). Turns out this manager had seen the kids, but for some reason was under the impression I was single! He still gave me a discount, but probably not as much as he would. *sigh* Maybe I should have flirted?! *grin*

So that's the highlights of why I'm not posting much.

No comments: