This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Monday, July 13, 2009

Where have I been?

Well I had a job interview on Friday. I think I did very well, but I'm not sure if this job is the right job for me. It's working with a therapeutic foster care agency called The Bair Foundation as an intake director.

My job would be finding, interviewing and training potential foster parents. It's something I would be good at, but would be making less than half of what I make in salary now (if I were making a salary that is). This concerned the staffing agency as well, but I told them that I was looking at this as volunteer work that would still allow me to contribute to my family (I implied Hubby was drawing a salary).

This would also be a major step back for me career-wise, which would not help me with future jobs. Hubby is a little upset with me, for not applying for higher level jobs, because I think I'm not qualified. He has been teasing me that I'm taking a job at McDonalds (because the pay is so low).

Last concern is a big one. The hours are probably going to include a lot of nights and weekends. That may be a deal killer.

I just haven't found any better jobs that appeal to me though (and that I feel qualified for). I really want a job that allows me to help others. I have some networking resources I haven't tapped yet. Will try to get off my rear and get my resume out to them.

I've really got to do something soon though. We can't afford our health insurance and I have run out of almost all my meds for my bipolar disorder. The kids have Medicaid so their meds and Kitty's therapy are covered, but their psychiatrist and pediatrician do not take Medicaid.

Had a long talk with the kids' biograndmother I need to post about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My opinion (oh wait, you didn't ask... too bad, I'm voicing it anyway) is that you do nothing but GIVE, GIVE, GIVE all day every day. It's time for you to get a job that pays big in money rather than good feelings. If you make enough you can pay back your parents and anyone else who may have loaned to you in the past few years. Also, put some asside so that if things go south again you'll have a nest egg.

That's just my opinion, though.

RADOnline said...

I totally agree with Denise on this one.

Mike