This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Monday, December 1, 2008

25Qs of Christmas

Welcome to the Christmas edition of getting to know your friends. 25 Q's of Christmas:

Okay, here's what you're supposed to do, and try not to be a SCROOGE!!! Change all the answers so that they apply to you. Then send this to a whole bunch of people you know. INCLUDING the person that sent it to you......This the season to be NICE!

> > 1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Gift bags every couple of years when I’ve “saved up” enough.
> >
> > 2. Real tree or Artificial? A real artificial tree (no pretend one for us!). My mom is allergic to trees and I found a beautiful 7 foot tree several years ago - after one of the dogs ate the trunk of the previous artificial tree.
> >
> > 3. When do you put up the tree? Always on the day after Thanksgiving, although it takes weeks before we get all the boxes and stuff put away. We have a beautifully decorated tree surrounded by 8 Rubbermaid tubs, and the cover we keep the tree in when we’re not using it.
> >
> > 4. When do you take the tree down? Ummm… we usually try to put it up before my youngest son’s birthday February 8th. ;>) Although the kids are lobbying to keep it up year round and decorate it for different holidays.
> >
> > 5. Do you like eggnog? Yep, but I’m the only one. I make a lowfat version using skim milk and instant pudding!
> >
> > 6. Favorite gift received as a child? Probably a stuffed animal, but I really don’t remember anything particular – guess I’m too old! I do remember that I had a horse and a trampoline on there and never got either for Christmas!
> >
> > 7. Hardest person to buy for? My oldest son. He won’t ask for anything. Can’t give him tools - he’s used them as weapons. Can’t give him books - he doesn’t read. Can’t give him music players (like an Ipod) – he’ll listens to inappropriate stuff (already has an MP3 player with appropriate music). Can’t give him a phone – he calls inappropriate people. Can’t give him video games – his attention span is too short. Can’t give him clothes – he has too many and isn’t growing anymore. Guess he’ll be getting a lot of cologne! > >
> >
> > 8. Easiest person to buy for? My youngest son. He’s young enough to still like toys!
> >
> > 9. Do you have a nativity scene? Probably 3 or 4. They’re in the box I haven’t unwrapped yet.
> >
> > 10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Nope.
> >
> > 11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Perfume – I’m allergic. Although I could usually trade for something better with my sisters who liked the “stinky stuff.”
> >
> > 12. Favorite Christmas Movie? The Grinch Who Stole Christmas – the cartoon version, not that inappropriate one with Jim Carey
> >
> > 13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? A little all year round. I love resale shops so you have to get things when you see them. Usually November/early December for the rest, but no money this year so haven’t started.
> >
> > 14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? All the time. I give them to people I think would like them. (See #11).
> >
> > 15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? chocolate fudge or pie (but how is that different from the rest of the year!) – I’m keeping Kitty’s answer! I do love my Mom’s homemade cinnamon roll Christmas tree – it’s so beautiful AND yummy!
> >
> > 16. Lights on the tree? Tons of little white ones that I wrapped the first year and then left on – major advantage to an artificial tree!
> >
> > 16a. Here's another…how about tinsel???? Yuck, what a mess!
> >
> > 17. Favorite Christmas song? Christmas Shoes – always makes me cry!
> >
> > 18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Kids want to visit relatives in Nebraska, but with no money to travel – we have to stay home.
> >
> > 19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer'.. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and of course, Rudolph!
> >
> > 20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel that lights up – gift from MIL
> >
> > 21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve we open one gift – traditionally new PJs – last year we added a book. Because I was having trouble sticking to the 3 Present Rule (Jesus only got 3 presents at Christmas and my kids already have too many things so last year we started the 3 present rule – I couldn’t make myself only buy 3 items, but I put them all in one box and that counted. One big gift –bike, bed, contact lenses, Heelys. One school gift – personalized magazine holders for their desks, glittery pen and pencil sets, and lots of books. One matching gift – they all got MP3 players already loaded with “appropriate” Christian music.)
> >
> > 22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? All my kids whining about the lack of snow.
> >
> > 23. What theme or color are you using? I like burgundies and forest green with a dark blue thrown in, but really we aren’t picky anymore.
> >
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? (See 15!). Turkey, ham, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, homemade rolls, pies… it’s not really any different from Thanksgiving
> >
> > 25. What do you want for Christmas this year? Our company’s financial situation to finally turn around, a vehicle that gets great gas mileage and holds 8, the willpower to lose 50lbs, and while I’m at it – WORLD PEACE! (and maybe another child – but don’t tell Hubby, he’ll know I’ve completely lost my mind !). Yea, I know. I’m always hard to shop for!

No comments: