This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Speaking of Christmas Miracles



I think I mentioned that Kitty has been calling me a liar because I won't tell her Santa is not real (and she says the Spirit of Christmas doesn't count). I'm so excited to have finally found a solution to this that I can live with!

On the way to therapy Kitty and I discussed this again. You know when you give money to a homeless person or help someone - people say you are doing God's work, or acting as Jesus' hands?! Even though we don't see Jesus, that doesn't mean that he doesn't exist and work through us. We are literally Jesus when we are doing his work.

Well if a parent or another person gives a child a gift or toy in Santa's name. Then they are literally Santa's hands. The Spirit of Christmas works through us, just like the Spirit of God.

Therefore Kitty can no longer call me a liar! Merry Christmas to me!

Yes, Kitty there IS a Santa Claus!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

When mine started asking I just said "If you don't believe you won't receive." Pathetic, I know. Yours is better.

marythemom said...

I've always told mine the same thing! I didn't want Bob to tell her little brother so the rule was, "don't ask, don't tell!" Never was an issue before. Then Kitty started calling me a liar.

Mary

Anonymous said...

I've been working on this same theory lately. Look at Santa's qualities and compare them to Jesus: Kind, generous, cares for children, brings hope and joy, etc... and don't forget, "He sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake!" Santa is derived from Saint Nicholas, a human being doing God's work here on earth, just as we all should be doing. And... I feel like every time I find "that perfect gift" or "the deal of the century" on a gift for someone, especially my kids, it's a little bit of Santa's Christmas magic working through me. You can't convince me there's no Santa.