This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Job interview


I have a job interview Thursday.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

The position is program director for the adoption agency that we adopted through. They stunk when it came to helping us, but I think that just means I would be able to bring something to the agency. I'm going to go all out for this, and then decide what to do if I get offered the job, but I still want to put in writing what I'm thinking. Hubby has repeatedly expressed concern that I just don't know what I want to be when I "grow up." This position meets a lot of my criteria.

The Pros:


  • My experience seems to match the job requirements perfectly. Not terribly overqualified and have all of the requirements.

  • It's a small, private agency not some big corporate or state-run agency so I might have some autonomy.

  • It's practically across the street so no big commute.

  • I'd be helping people. Not just helping kids find good homes, but doing trainings to help make those homes better.

  • I'd be using all the stuff I've learned (academically, professionally and as a therapeutic parent).

  • I've worked for this agency before (when Bob was a baby I did contract foster care homestudies with them and of course we adopted through this agency so it's pretty familiar). Familiarity cuts down on that learning curve which makes me feel comfortable and confident.

  • I'd get to interact with people instead of sitting around talking only to our sales guy and the occasional potential client. I am a total extrovert and I especially love talking to people about kids, adoption, mental health issues... things I know stuff about.

  • Income!

  • Probably somewhat flexible hours. Which means I could probably deal with the kids' appointments and issues.

The Cons:



  • This agency has a high turnover rate. Gotta assume there is a reason for that of course.

  • Would we have to close the company if I leave? Can we leave this in the hands of our sales guy and work in the evenings and take a little time off if needed like Hubby does?

  • This is Social Work. I have to assume that the position does not pay really well.

  • Will most likely have to be on call and do trainings some evenings and weekends.

  • Back to having to deal with licensing and minimum standards (minimum is the operative word in Texas). Not fun to have to enforce often stupid rules that can be detrimental instead of protecting.

  • Oooh, just realized I have no idea if I have something appropriate to wear. Yikes. Is that a con? Probably not.

Not a con, but a concern. My resume is in my computer! Which of course is in the shop for 3-5 days. Could be as early as tomorrow, but more likely will be done after the interview. Hubby thinks he has a copy.


Will keep you posted!

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Everyone knows that us social workers are raking in the dough! :)

Good luck!

GB's Mom said...

How awesome! You have options and options is closely related to hope! {{{Hugs}}}

Tara - SanitySrchr said...

I know you'll do well! Don't let the anxiety of the cons deter you!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice if low pay at least meant flexible hours?

You could -- should -- make it known that you are a) perfect for the job and b) a mom of special-needs kids and that *requires* you to flex your hours. (Can they salary you at 30 hours?). Stress also that your special-needs kids are paid for by Medicaid so you won't be burdening the company health-care plan.

Because, after all, if they can't let you work the hours you & your family need you to work, then you can't take the job.

Jessica Lynn said...

Pray about it. Don't let your fears prevent you from doing something you feel drawn to. I think you probably know from experience the difficulty in social work positions, which is why the turnover is so high. I don't think it has anything to do with a particular agency. And keep in mind, worse case scenario, you can always quit. They aren't gonna spank you! ;0)