This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Third Anniversary

Three years ago today Kitty and Bear were placed with us. At age 11 and 13 they moved across the country from Nebraska to Texas. It was their first airplane ride too. First time they'd lived with each other in almost 2 years.

I don't know how or even if we will celebrate. For us it is when they joined our family. For them it would be celebrating losing theirs. They left behind sisters and other biofamily, foster parents and siblings and friends. We fully intended to take them back to visit frequently, but due to the economy and other issues we've not made it back.

They see pictures of their sisters who are growing fast, including the sister who was born last year that they've never met.

They often treat us like evil kidnappers and sometimes I feel that way too. We didn't intend to keep them from birth family. It is not our fault that they were placed in the foster care system in the first place. But it still makes me feel guilty.

So I'm not sure if we should celebrate. I'm thinking we might want to distract them, but should we do that with a party?

Speaking of which, the traditional gift for a third anniversary is leather...

don't know what to think about that.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

We don't celebrate it. Just doesn't seem fair to celebrate something so traumatic. IMHO.