This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Our Kids - Positive Thursday

It is really hard for me to find positives about certain of my kids right now, but they deserve to have me think of the good stuff so I’ll try.

Bear – His PTSD was triggered lately, and It is tearing him up inside to relive all the abandonments by his birth family and the abuse, but he is still trying very hard to hold it together. When kids got in his face at school and yelled and threatened him, he didn’t react by attacking them as he would have in the past. He didn’t make all the best choices in how to handle the stress, but he’s made a lot of progress.

Kitty – She’s actually calling us from residential treatment, and being sweet to all. She’s not letting this make her angry and bitter (despite the fact that I’m sure it feels like yet another abandonment). It would have helped us keep our insurance paying for her treatment if she’d shown that she needs it, but that’s not her fault.

Bob and Ponito are bio, but I still want to brag on them a little. They are handling all that is going on with their adopted siblings so well. They’re still focusing on their schoolwork and getting their stuff done, while still maintaining a positive outlook. They are not teasing their siblings, or getting in their business. They are asking for what they need from us instead of sitting around feeling unloved and unappreciated, and still allowing us to focus our attention on their siblings and our work.

I don’t know what I would do without all of my children.

No comments: