This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Crocodile tears?


Bob is crying in her room AGAIN! Quite frankly I had a tough day and I don't want to deal with more bed time drama. It's an hour past her bedtime and the crying is getting louder. The last 2 nights I've rubbed her back and listened to her vent, assuring her that I do love her. Tonight it just feels like an attempt to get to stay up late and manipulate us.


Hubby went in and told her to cut it out. When she was still at it half an hour later I went in and told her to cut it out too. She told me she is miserable and has the worst life in the world. I told her an abbreviated version of a story of a child who really had a miserable life that I'd just read on an adoption support board.


I told her I understand that she's unhappy, but only she can make herself feel better. Staying up sobbing every night is just going to make her more miserable and cranky from exhaustion.


I don't know if I did the right thing, but she hasn't done it since.

No comments: