This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bumps, Benadryl and baking soda


Ponito came in itching like crazy. As I watched the number of itchy bumps multiplying. I poured Benadryl into him and then tried to find the Calomine lotion. All I could find was hydrocortisone cream (we have tons from Bear's tattoo removals). We tried that, but it didn't stop the itching. Gotta love Google (and my favorite neighbor who didn't have any Calomine lotion either who looked it up for me) - it recommended an oatmeal or baking soda bath. I decided to try a baking soda paste and it worked. Stopped the itching and the bumps stopped multiplying too (could have been the Benadryl finally kicking in).
Now all we have to do is figure out what caused the rash. It was an hour after he went to bed that he came in. The rash was only on his face and torso (he slept shirtless, but in long pants). Dinner was leftovers so it couldn't have been that. The only thing I can figure out is he got some beanie babies at the thrift store on Saturday. He slept with them last night at Grandma's (he sleeps at Grandma's most Saturdays), but says he wore a shirt.
We put him to bed in his bottom bunk with no stuffed animals. We'll figure it out in the morning.

3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

I hope they are gone in the morning. Saying a prayer for him.

Anonymous said...

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/

Jules said...

Bear had a tattoo???