This blog is my place to vent and share resources with other parents of children of trauma. I try to be open and honest about my feelings in order to help others know they are not alone. Therapeutic parenting of adopted teenagers with RAD and other severe mental illnesses and issues (plus "neurotypical" teens) , is not easy, and there are time when I say what I feel... at the moment. We're all human!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Website for adolescent parenting

Found this great article at http://www.adoptsc.com/articles/adolescencetheultimatesurvivaltestforparents.htm
"Make few rules, but keep them. When you think about all of the do’s and don’ts in the world, most can really be summarized into a very short list. I try to remind myself that God Almighty only needed ten rules, so I should need even less. Center the rules around the fundamental ways that you want your child to live and treat others."

“Everyone wants a new car and a new baby. They both smell fresh and new. But by the time the car and baby are thirteen years old, you cannot pay anyone to take them off your hands. But, with care and love, avoiding too many dents and mishaps, the car and the child will eventually turn twenty-five. Then both of them can be considered classics, worthy of distinction."

Good luck on your way to rearing a classic.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Great analogy and article. Thanks for sharing Squeaker